Now Family-Friendly!

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Mat6tland: A romance in many dimensions

Recently I've realised how simple my life has been. It's not boring or uneventful, mind you. But every day I do whatever I need or want to do, then spent endless hours laying in bed contemplating the mysteries and relativity of the universe and slowly drift into madness. You'd think I'd be sick of doing that same thing over and over, but I find it to suit me pretty well.

I have concluded that we are all beings which take up hyperspace (for lack of a better term) in 4 or more dimensions. The fourth dimension, in this example, being time. Our situation is that we can only sense an infintesimal slice (the present) of our fourth dimensional length. But really, this virtually unknown dimension is what makes us who we are. Our true being is a summation of every instantaneous moment that we exist. Alex, you know what I'm talking about.

And furthermore, can't every little detail of life be considered a separate dimension? Either way, I wish Spongebob was on.

9 comments:

Eric Petersen said...

ahhhhhhh! My brain hurts! It must be day-light-savings time again :(

The Stunningly Handsome Nate Perkins said...

Pshhh. Real original, Mat6t. So if the fourth dimension can be divided into seperate sub-dimensions (weeks, days, hours, minutes, seconds, time spent by girls getting mad at Mat6t for trying to kiss them, etc.) can the basic three dimensions be divided? What about layers in two dimensions a la photoshop? Can you graph in the fourth dimension? What's the fifth dimension? I watched a PBS program about how the 4th or 5th dimension was actual tiny little spirals that intersected with all the other dimensions. I think they were really stretching there. If there's something that has surface area but no volume is there something with volume but no surface area. Also, why is Brother Hodges so gay?

b. robertson said...

um, please re-phrase all of the above questions (except the last one, I understood that...or the meaning anyway) because I am sorry to say that I am just not on the same level, maybe dimension or something, as you really smart people are. Keep it simple...for me.
ps. I have a Spongebob toothbrush. Fun.

b. robertson said...

Oh! And a spongebob blanket...and Pez dispenser. I guess I like Spongebob or something.

Alex Morrise said...

Mat6t, I'm probably the only person who got the reference in the title of your blog. It makes me proud. But didn't you like that book? I thought it was interesting that all of the characters were shapes. My most favorite part was when they went to one-dimensional land. That was pretty coo'.

b. robertson said...

What is this book? If it will help me to understand this abstract-ness, then I must read it!

Alex Morrise said...

Well, it's purpose is sort of to help people understand something...either to understand the concept of the universe, or to understand that the author was crazy. I'm not sure which.

b. robertson said...

Most likely the latter. (is that how you spell it?)

b. robertson said...

I am so dumb! Of course that's how you spell it. like "Latter Day Saints..." boy do I feel DUMB.