Now Family-Friendly!

Monday, June 06, 2005

My room looks upside down from where she is.

One thing that can annoy me is people who talk too much. Well, not so much that they talk too much, just when they continuously keep talking and not really saying anything new or anything that I would consider important. Most of the time when someone starts going like this, I just zone out and say "yeah" or "really?" when I can tell that the pitch of their voice has hit a peak or any point of inflection.

One example of this that I have seen is in my dad. Like when he tells me something I need to do, he says it really about 6 or 7 times over and over. I think it's because he thinks I don't really ever listen. But the thing is that I always listen, but I just don't do the things he asks. And now that he's started repeating himself so much, I've started to not even listen. So then he repeats it even more, and I don't listen even more. Yeah, it's a cycle of madness. But no one has conquered the paradox of the chicken and the egg, so who am I to try to crack this one? (Lame pun intended)

It's always awkward when you want to tell your friends to shut up when you're at their house. I mean, you can do it anywhere else with a feeling of impunity but there's something about being at their house that changes everything. They have the home court advantage. Like, if they wanted to, they could kick you out or even hold you hostage. They hold all the cards, and you're just a misplaced pawn in their twisted game of backgammon. I only say this because today I sat-in during trevor's family home evening. Orrin came in the front door about 20 minutes into it and loudly went into the next room. While Bro. Richardson was desperately trying to teach a lesson about kindness, Orrin kept disagreeing with him and yelling "Poop!" alot. At this point, my teeth were pretty well acquainted with my lower lip and there still wasn't any sign of it ending. About 5 minutes after the closing prayer, trevor and daylen started their senseless arguing that we have all come to know and love. They started yelling at each other that the other one needed to be kinder to them. I felt my eyes glaze just a little more while I uttered my fourth "yeah" following my second "really?" of the argument. I felt like a detached and underpaid referee at a boxing match.

Whenever things like this happen, I think of the song Lazyhead and Sleepybones by, of course, They Might Be Giants. It's about two people named Lazyhead and Sleepybones who are basically the same and should be friends, but always disagree. Like, when Lazyhead says someone's skinny, Sleepybones says thin. And when Lazyhead says identical, Sleepybones says twin. etc. They might as well have named it Lazydaylen and Sleepytrevor. (lame rob joke unintended)

Well, Lazymat6t is feeling tired, but Sleepymat6t wants to rest. I don't know what I'm going to do. I'd better sleep on it.

15 comments:

The Stunningly Handsome Nate Perkins said...

"Why should I go? I'm not used of it! In the morning?!" I'm surprised these lines weren't in the story. Also, Orrin's "I'm going to shoot a cow!"

Alex Morrise said...

Matt, you sure have lots of They Might Be Giants references on here.

Speaking of which, I got some free iTunes downloads off of some Slurpees recently, and since I didn't have any They Might Be Giants songs, I got Particle Man, Absolutely Bill's Mood, Birdhouse in Your Soul, and Four of Two.

Marlsven said...

nate: Initially I included those phrases in this blog, but when I tried to save it, it said that it ran out of disk space.

alex: Good choices of songs, indeed. I'm still not sure what "4 of 2" means, but I do have some theories. Surely if we put our heads together we can solve this perplexing question.

The Stunningly Handsome Nate Perkins said...

You have to reformat the f-disk.

Alex Morrise said...

No, no, no. Fdisk is what you type to format your hard drive. When you do it, it erases everything. That's the joke.

Rivers is my hero said...

Hey Mat6t, I found TMBG tickets. got to WWW.NEWAYS.COM
$20 pre-buy, $25 at the door. but buy them with me so we can sit together.

Eric Petersen said...

Hey man, you're not getting tickets with out me!

b. robertson said...

You can get tickets without me. I mean, I'd only go if you bought me a ticket and provided transportation. So, you should be safe if I'm not there when you get tickets. In case you were worried about it.

The Stunningly Handsome Nate Perkins said...

I can't go. If I went to the show it would cost me about $2000 to fly to Dallas the next day, so I think I'll just drive. Not even TMBG is worth over $2000.

Alex Morrise said...

Firstly: Eric, "without" is a single word.

And secondly: Mat6t, I figured out what "Four of Two" means. It means 1:56. John Linnell knew of a clock on the corner of 5th and 22nd on Manhattan that was stuck on 1:56.

Marlsven said...

what's the deal with becca commenting on everyone's (me and luke's) blog just so she can degrade and say how she doesn't care about They Might Be Giants? Seriously, becca, what happened to you? You used to be cool. Now I don't know what to think.

The Stunningly Handsome Nate Perkins said...

Shazam!

b. robertson said...

Sorry Matt. It wasn't on purpose. Read Luke's blog. I was ignorant to what TMBG was. I did not know TMBG = They Might Be Giants. Stupid, I know. I should have known, but I really do love "TMBG." And I would love to go to that concert. But again, I have no money, so it still stands: provide a ticket and transportation and I will go. But you'd never do that, so you'll still be safe in getting tickets without me.

Alex Morrise said...

I'm going to go to that concert.

Kacy said...

Me too.