Now Family-Friendly!

Sunday, October 30, 2005

World Island Theory revisited.

My dad and I went hometeaching today. After I had said the closing prayer, (which usually includes the only multi-word sentences I speak during hometeaching) Bro. Robinson said that I need to enunciate better. I responded with a few grunting noises and an overly-slurred excuse. He was not amused. But I guess I wouldn't be either if I had both knees replaced. I wonder if he's getting cynical at all yet. Nah.

I believe that I was once called a "silent appendage" in dealing with my hometeaching skills. It's not my fault really. My dad always goes on about some theory he has about how the battle of Armageddon is going to start, or how the world economy is going to fail pretty soon or whatever. I, of course, have to sit and listen to his rantings at every house to which we go. But I have mastered his theories pretty well so I can step in from time to time and remind him of things he didn't explain or left out.

"...and if you thought that was bad, wait 'til you hear this..." says my dad.

I interrupt, "Wait, Dad, you forgot about the part where society falls apart and half the population of America is incinerated while the other half has to endure starvation and terrible diseases and hopes for an early death."

"Oh yes, this will be much worse than the bubonic plague, literally." he goes on.

The family does seem to be very engrossed by my father's "lesson." But I think they were just being polite. I mean, not blinking while having their eyes that wide for so long couldn't have been comfortable. They were laying it on a little thick clenching the armrests of their chairs like that. And the violent shaking. Please.

"You're not fooling anyone," I say to the boy of a family we're teaching as I administer eyedrops to him for the third time this hometeaching session.

This probably isn't the best time to say it, but I don't understand what the whole hype about being politically knowledgeable is all about. Call me old fashioned, but I affectionately believe in the old traditions of hard work, sacrifice, loving one's country, and the weakness of the individual. I just don't understand all these people who watch and read the news, and then just sit around complaining about it. How come you have to know about everything going on with politics, anyway? There are so many better things you could learn about. Paint a painting, sing a song, or dance a dance. Seriously guys, the politics thing, it's over. The fad is winding down. It seemed like a good idea, but it just didn't pan out.

Yesterday I found myself at the dollar theater, sitting in a car-racing arcade game seat with Erp in the seat next to me. We missed the movie by ten minutes and decided to wait for the next movie. It didn't start for two hours. I was actually having some fun pretending to play the game I was at, and striking up conversations with tiny bilingual girls. It was awesome.
I only mention it because these are the times when I despise politics the most. Erp, you're a great guy.

Anyway, I just felt I needed to post something, even if it's this unfocused, uncouched, and unsofa-ed crap. Don't worry, I have some thought-provoking stuff coming up soon, I promise.

Ah, who am I kidding anyway? I have no new ideas for posts.
Are you happy now?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a roulette tip site/blog. It pretty much covers roulette tip related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. Your posts were interesting reading. I have a movie downloads site. In addition to movie downloads, you can find options for downloading various movie players. Please try and visit it, see what you think.
Rod

Marlsven said...

These anonymous comments are getting old. Does anyone know how to get rid of them?

I guess I do have to admire their stamina at least.

Kactiguy said...

Yes. Turn on the word verification. It's kind of a pain but it is better than "roulette tips". I mean really, if you don't know how to drop a ball on a spinning wheel, then you're an idiot.

Now on to other things. You don't home teach me and yet I have heard these stories from George. Is that like extra blessings? Will I get bonus points for having heard them. (sans eyedrops I might add)

Mike said...

It's about time you posted again! I think that I've heard those stories so many times, Mandy keeps waking me up in the night saying that I'm telling the same stories in my sleep! I got a double dose last night from him. I talked to him at your house, and then I talked to him on the phone!

becks said...

I've actually never heard the entirety (is that a word?) of dad's theories because once he starts i just leave the room. He brings embarrasement to the whole family and its not like we need help because we kids can do that on our own. But I guess thats why we love Ruth Marx from the Network!

J Rock! said...

you didn't home teach us yesterday, but your dad was kind enough to show. too bad you missed it. our respective dads were ranting about dividends and diluted stocks for about 20 minutes.

here's something fun i came across once:

http://www.ratemyprofessor.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=529442

compulsive writer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eric Petersen said...

Did I talk about politics again? I'm such a fool.

compulsive writer said...

Great website j-rock! Only I have to take issue with the hotness rating. I have it on good authority (mostly from Mat6t) that the subject is totally hot in lycra shorts.

Lorien said...

YOWZA!