Now Family-Friendly!

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Elder Matthew's first Email 10/01/2008

Greetings all from the heart of the Missionary Training Center, the laundry room. Today is P-day, which means we can wear our casual clothes, or as we call them here, our "heathens."

The MTC has been good to me. Three square meals a day, and all the cookies and brownies I could eat (Thanks to mom).

Mom had some questions, and I'll try to answer some of them before I run out of time.

Who are your teachers?

Their names are Bro. Okoren and Bro. Lucas. I like them. Bro. Lucas is taller.

Who is your branch presidency?

President Ahlander (sp?) is the branch president. I forget his counselors names, but one of them reminds me a lot of brother kendell.

Do you like the food?

The food is good. Breakfasts are nice, lunch and dinner have a good chance of being good, usually. I eat too much, but it sure is nice.

When is your P-day?

Weren't you listening earlier? It's today! Wednesdays. Which means we can go to the temple. We head there around 2:40 pm.

Did you have to get any more shots?

I got a flu shot, which was relatively painless. I asked for a shot of whiskey, to no avail.

What are your sundays like?

Every sunday will be different for me in the MTC. Last sunday was fast sunday, so several meetings were changed or cancelled. Next week is General conference, so we just watch that. Our last sunday here will be the only "normal" sunday.

Who else is in your district?

A hodgepodge of other missionaries. I could tell stories about each one, but I'll save that for when I can send a picture, which should be in about a week (in letter form to mom and dad's house). My companion is Elder Pikula, a Tongan with a big heart and an even bigger bicep measurement. Reminds me of Kamalei in some ways.

Everyone is going to California, but only 4 are going to San Jose. They are Elder Ward, Elder Gustafsson, Elder Pikula and myself.

Were you able to join the choir?

I joined a choir, but unfortunately thursday was the auditions for the General Conference Priesthood session choir, so I missed that. Too bad.

Have you seen anyone you know?

A couple. I saw Greg Hudnall (Jr) and Jason Fuller from high school. No one really else.

What are you studying in your classes?

The first lesson mostly. Trying to learn to teach is more simply so people can understand it better.

What do you do for exercise?

Play basketball and 4-square. Gym is at 6:30 am and is awesome.

Have you caught up on sleep?

I'll sleep when I'm dead. Or at least when I get back. I'm getting used to it though.

Do you need anything?

Prayers! They really do help. Letters are nice too. Maybe a carrying case for my small scriptures. Nothing fancy. The cheaper the better.

Are you happy?

The majority of the time, yes. I find I'm happiest while I'm saying my prayers before bed. It's a lot easier to express your love for Heavenly Father when you know you're about to be blessed with 8 hours of sleep.

Anyway, things are good here? How are you all doing? How's little Weston doing? Pictures are very appreciated. I'm not sure if I will be able to send pictures by email in the MTC, but in the field it may be possible.

You can email me back and I can read them on wednesdays. Tell your friends! And MY friends, if you see them.

Okay, time is about up. I love you all! You are in my prayer!

Love,

Elder Karlsven

From Laurel Dean: Matthew's email address in the MTC is mattkarlsven@myldsmail.net

No comments: