Now Family-Friendly!

Friday, November 28, 2008

One month in Calif

Dear Family,

I apologize for not being able to write yesterday. We taught a guy named Dan the first lesson in the morning. Later we played several games of flag football with our zone in Gilroy, the garlic capital of the world. Of course, I scored several touchdowns and injured several other missionaries in the process.

So our efforts in finding people to teach have not been fruitless. We've tried several techniques. The usual tracting and street contacting, and a few others. For instance, being inspired by Sanka from Cool Runnings, for a few days we would dance and sing on the street in the day time. Our songs went a little like this:

"Some people say they can't believe,
San Juan Bautista, they got the missionaries..."

But yeah, this place has some golden investigators. We're teaching about 5 different people, and 2 or 3 are progressing well. The other night we had dinner with a member family and a family we're teaching. We planned to teach a lesson afterwards, but the member family's dad insisted we watch several scenes from Ben Hur. But I can't complain about Charleton Heston.

So right now I'm in a group of 3 missionaries. Elder Jackson, Elder Bourne and I. A trifecta of gospel teaching. Elder Bourne will stay when Elder Jackson goes home. Elder Bourne is an AMAZING teacher. We taught a recently baptized family with 3 little kids yesterday, and I felt like sitting down and drawing pictures with crayons with the kids while he taught. He's that good. I've learned a lot from Elder Jackson, and I have much to learn from Elder Bourne. Not to be one to hinder their progression, I try to help them learn patience, clogging the toilet often, spilling salsa on their white shirts, eating toast on their beds, getting crumbs everywhere, etc. I figure it's the least I could do for them.

We haven't gotten much guff here about Proposition 8. A couple times people have responded to our friendly greetings with "No on 8!" or "You're taking away our rights!" but no one is brave enough to say anything until we are already several steps past them.

Anyway, it's always good to get emails. Regular mail is good too, especially for non-immediate family members, since I can't email them back. I hope you're all happy, and if you're not, I hope you're not being dumb by not praying or reading the scriptures.

Thanks for the support! I love you all! Everyone reading this should watch an extra 1/2 hour of tv to cover all the time I'm no longer watching.

Love,

-Elder Karlsven

No comments: