Now Family-Friendly!

Sunday, May 31, 2009

No Bueno 04/28/09

Dear Family,

Been inside most of the week. Yep, sick again. I thought it would be nice to have hot weather when you are sick. Not so. The most miserable day was I think Wednesday, the hot sun beating into our apartment, where for 5 hours I was sprawled out on the couch, drenched in sweat, periodically swaying in and out of consciousness. I realized my appearance that evening at our dinner appointment probably concerned the family when I had to stop them from calling an ambulance. No bueno. Absolutely no bueno.

We passed the time playing Settlers of Catan. This helped take my mind from my ever-worsening illness, but it also brought back bad memories of family feuds back at home caused by playing this game. I was shunned by our district at district meeting, and the mission president refused to shake my hand. All because of the symptoms of my sickness - cough, runny nose, weakness, sickly composure, and a near-uncontrollable urge to complain about it constantly. This week has been as much a mental and emotional battle as it has been a physical battle against the adversary and the bad-health he sends to me.

Okay, it wasn't THAT bad. But having to stay inside is so boring, especially as a missionary. I got some anti-biotics, and just finished taking them all, and I've improved a lot. So this week we are back to work at full-throttle.

One thing of note happened this week - I may or may not have accidentally gone outside of the mission on a split with Eddie Baik from the Elders Quorum. He was driving me around, looking for a less-active member that lives in Los Altos Hills - lots of winding roads, and few street signs. The man we were looking for lives on the north border of the mission. We were driving along and start passing several software companies that Eddie says are based out of Palo Alto. Huh? We realized we probably missed a turn, but cannot find a place to turn around. We finally turn around in a parking lot at a building for Stanford University. So, as any missionary would, I had Eddie take a picture of me in front of the Stanford sign (for bragging rights) and then we rushed back into mission boundaries.

Let's just keep this a secret between me, you and the world-wide-web, okay?

Not much else to report this week. But with my health back, I'm sure the coming seven days will be eventful.

I love you all. Thank you so much for your prayers!

Love,

Elder Karlsven

No comments: