Now Family-Friendly!

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

French Lessons 07/13/09

Dear Family,

7 days. That's the longest time I've ever spent with a Frenchman. And it hasn't been at all what I expected.

From what I hear, Elder Galletti's last companions weren't the most charitable or patient missionaries, and Elder Galletti had a hard time with them. But this works out great for me, because even though I'm pretty mediocre at best, he says I'm the best comp he has had yet. I like this guy.

After dinner the other day, it was decided that we would play a game of Apples to Apples. Although Elder Galletti can speak English pretty well, I guess 6 months in the United States isn't enough to build a vocabulary suitable to play Apples to Apples. The first round we were supposed to choose a card from our hand that had a person, place, thing or event that could be described as "Nasty or disgusting." The cards laid down were "dirty dishes," "mold," "mud," and "Swan." Guess which card was Elder Galletti's. The rest of the game went on like that, where if there ever was a card down that didn't make sense, it was probably his. Hilarious. What's even more funny is that he ended up winning the game.

Our relationship is developing as I teach him English words and he teaches me French.

He points to a lamp. "How do you say that?"

"Alligator," I respond.

"Okay."

I'm sure he admires me because the other day he gave me a French nickname that means "brave" or "strong." I'm not sure exactly how to pronounce it, but it sounds like "le inn-kom-peh-taunt." Pretty cool, huh?

Oh yeah, another story this week. For the first time in about 2 months, we got a new investigator from tracting. We were walking home from dinner, and I got the feeling to check on this potential investigator who lives nearby that I haven't seen in 4 months. It didn't make sense because the last time we went there, the people said he didn't live there anymore. We went anyway. No one answered the door. But then after knocking 2 more doors a guy answered. His name was Frank. I began:

"Frank, have you ever read a book or watched a movie that just inspired you to do something different in your life or become a better person?"

"Yeah."

"What was it?"

"Grand theft auto."

Somehow we ended up talking about the Book of Mormon. He invited us in to talk and for something to drink. He told us all that he knew about Joseph Smith, which was essentially what has been about him on South Park. In the short time we had, we told Frank about the First Vision of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appearing to Joseph Smith when he prayed to know which church was true. Frank had the classic question, why does God let bad things happen to people. Long story short, we got a return appointment with him. No matter how far Frank progresses in the gospel, I feel very very blessed to have found someone to teach. Plus, it really strengthened my testimony of being led by the Spirit where to go.

This has been an eventful week and I wish I had more time to tell more stories that have happened.

Enjoy the week, everyone. And remember, contrary to popular belief, Joseph Smith was never given the ability to have "ice breath."

Love,

Elder Karlsven

No comments: