Now Family-Friendly!

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

He's a Vegan Now? 08/10/09

Dear Family,

For most of my life my philosophy on a balanced diet could be summed up as: Avoid any and all foods that distract from the meat in the meal.

The other day we found ourselves eating at a vegan restaurant. Even more surprising, it was delicious and I felt good afterward. I won't become a vegan, or even a vegetarian, but since having to be awake, alert and energized working 10am to 9pm every day, I've realized the blessings of being able to "run and not be weary" and "walk and not faint" when following the "eat meat sparingly" part of the Word of Wisdom. A meat-induced coma after lunch can be a huge stumbling block for a missionary.

This morning during study we were reading a talk by D. Todd Christofferson that spoke about keeping the missionary purpose(Helping people develop faith in Jesus Christ, repenting, being baptized, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end) the reason for your missionary work, and not let the means of doing this become the goal. In other words, finding people to teach who will progress in the gospel, and not finding people to teach just to teach. Sometimes it's hard to keep this in mind when you're just happy to find a handful of people who are willing to listen, but then refuse to act on your words to find out if the promises you give to them are true. It just made me laugh a little when I thought of some of the people I've taught in the past who were mentally not all there, just wanted money from the church, or just liked having missionaries over (and had been taking the lessons for over 2 years without any progress). I think at some point, trying to teach these people the gospel, turns from a hope to a delusion.

But I still love teaching.

Elder Galletti was sick this week, so we didn't go out a lot. I learned my lesson from when I infected half of San Juan Bautista with bronchitis.

Thanks for the emails, everyone. I'll write some better emails next time, I promise.

Love,

Elder Karlsven

No comments: