Now Family-Friendly!

Monday, November 02, 2009

Do Not Joke With The Mission President 10/27/09

Dear Family,

News: Staying in Salinas for at least 6 more weeks. Elder Finlayson is on a plane right now heading home.

Earlier this week I went to a meeting in San Jose with about 15 other missionaries and President Jackson. Halfway to San Jose, I realized that I had forgotten my suit coat. Suit coats are required at all meetings. Well, I thought that surely it would be better to be on time to the meeting without a suitcoat than be late with it. Maybe he wouldn't even mention it.

President Jackson began the meeting.

"We'd like to welcome you all to this meeting. Where is your suitcoat?"

My face went bright red as he stared accusingly at me.

"Uh...I was never issued a suitcoat."

"What?"

"Uh...I mean, I forgot it."

I gave my excuse that I wanted to be on time to the meeting. He then told a story of when he had once forgotten his suitcoat and decided to not go to the meeting without it.
About half an hour later my body stopped shaking, and I could relax, so it wasn't that bad.

This is a recurring problem with me - forgetting the suitcoat. I remember going to a meeting in Los Altos with the ward leaders of the stake. We were on bikes and in a hurry, so we decided not to pick up our suitcoats in order to be punctual. We still arrived 10 minutes late, just for our turns to introduce ourselves to everyone and say something unique about ourselves.

"I'm Elder Karlsven, and I suffer from a rare medical condition which prevents me from wearing a suitcoat." I'm working on coming up with less lame excuses.

22 year old Danny McCoy's baptism happened on Saturday at 11 am. It went great, and I'm not just saying that. After the baptism, you could see how happy Danny was. He's the kind of guy that can light up a room pretty quickly anyway, but you could tell how filled with the Spirit he was with his joy and love throughout the day. Elder Finlayson confirmed him on Sunday. The only bummer was that his mom, who was against his decision to be baptized, never showed up.

I'm short on time, so I'll tell you about my new companion next week. I'll meet him this afternoon. He's probably just getting off the plane at the San Jose airport. I'm really excited and looking forward to the enthusiasm a brand new missionary can bring to an area. Pray for us.

Have a great week. Enjoy the cold weather in Utah.

Love,
Elder Karlsven

No comments: