Now Family-Friendly!

Monday, January 11, 2010

Relying on the Spirit 11/16/09

Dear Family,

I haven't been teaching this many people since my first month in the mission field. Maybe it's something about having a brand new missionary in an area that brings it to life.

I'm trying to think of a good story to tell from this week, but none are coming. However, I can honestly say that this has been one of the happiest weeks of my mission. The reason is that we are teaching so much.

We were teaching a girl named Pam earlier this week. She doesn't have much religious background. Before we began teaching, I asked her what made her want to meet with us (she was a referral from Danny McCoy). She then described the Spirit touching her at times in her life. But she didn't know it was the Spirit - she just described the feelings and what brought them on. She described it just as it has been described in the scriptures.

But she had never read those scriptures.

Alma 16:16
"And there was no inequality among them; the Lord did pour out his Spirit on all the face of the land to prepare the minds of the children of men, or to prepare their hearts to receive the word which should be taught among them at the time of his coming."

People are prepared to hear the gospel.

The Spirit is what drives this work. There is a quote in the Preach My Gospel manual that says something like, "You cannot be successful as a missionary without the Spirit." And how do you get the Spirit? You ask for it, and you ask for the Lord's help as you do your best to do what he asks you to do.

This was easy counsel to follow the first few months of my mission - I didn't know what I was doing, and it was obvious that I needed to rely on the Lord for help and guidance. However, as I got more experience, I relied on that for my help, and less on asking the Lord what to do, and how to do it.

Bad idea.

In the past few weeks I've learned:
1)If you are sure how you can help someone you're teaching - ask the Lord for help anyway.
2)If you aren't nervous knocking on someone's door to tell them about the gospel - ask the Lord for help anyway.

I've seen the change that has happened in myself and in the work as I've tried to rely on the Lord more every day. The help has come.

Have a great week everyone! A good story will be in next week's email, I'm sure.

Love,
Elder Karlsven

No comments: