Now Family-Friendly!

Monday, January 11, 2010

Tracting in the Dark is Scary 01/04/10

Dear Family,

It gets dark around 5:30 or 6 pm every night this time of year. Around 6:30 a few days ago, we were knocking some doors. Elder Valencia and I came to a dark doorstep. As we stepped onto the porch, no motion sensor lights came on, so we were looking for a doorbell. As we were searching, the porch light flicked on and the door opened. It was an older Hispanic woman just heading out. As soon as she saw 6 foot 7 Elder Valencia, she got a frightened look on her face and began to scream loudly, and in short intervals several times.

"AAAAH! AAAAH! AAAAH!"

She quickly went back inside and shut the door. After a moment, we controlled our laughter and decided to knock on the door. We heard her on the other side of the door.

"AAAAH! AAAAH! AAAAH! What do you want!? What do you want!?"

"We don't want anything."

"WHO ARE YOU!?"

We told her who we were and she cracked the door open.

Again, she lost it, "What do you want!? AAAAH! AAAAH! AAAAH!"

"Ma'am, CALM DOWN," I said. She finally went silent.

We gave her a card to get a Together Forever DVD and left.

I'm very impressed with the members of the ward here. I'm learning a lot more about sharing the gospel than a lot of them are after our visits. Often I've seen how when an older couple has lived in the same place for decades, they lose hope and enthusiasm for missionary stuff. Not so here. Many 70+ year olds here in the ward have more energy and hope for the work than many of the young missionaries.

I hope you all had a happy new year. I remember how weird it was to think I would finish my mission in 2010. It hasn't gotten any less weird.

Oh yeah, and I thought that was a really cool gift Dave gave to the family, doing the genealogy for Dad's side of the family. Thanks, Dave!

Love,

Elder Karlsven

No comments: