Now Family-Friendly!

Thursday, April 01, 2010

Derise and Sanka Together Again! 03/08/2010

Dear Family,


In every email I got it was requested that I tell more about Elder Serat. So here's the basics:
-Elder Serat is from Haiti, from the city of Port-au-Prince.
-He has not gotten much news from his relatives there on how they are after the earthquake.
-His mom lives in Florida
-He is fluent in English and has lived in the U.S. for 2 1/2 years. He initially learned English from watching Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien.
-He is 5'8" and can dunk a basketball.
-He made friends with the huge African American man that lived underneath me in Los Altos that tormented us on a daily basis.
-He understands an American sense of humor, unlike many other missionaries from foreign countries.
-He can do an adequate impression of our mission president.
-Imagine a Haitian Derise (from Cool Runnings) and you got it. Since I could easily be described as a white Sanka (also from Cool Runnings) we get along wonderfully.


We had fun on Sunday. Our Relief Society president invited us to help out at the beginning of Relief Society. I love coming as a special guest places. The young women were there too. They asked for everyone to stand and recite the Young Women's theme. Standing there, I wasn't sure whether we should just smile or try to fake like I knew it. We then got to sing "As Sisters in Zion." Nice. Everyone had a good laugh at all that and that we needed a third priesthood holder to be with us there as a chaperone. Despite all this humiliation, I'd jump at the chance to help out in Relief Society again.


Not much other news this week. Does anyone know how Zoram Quintana is doing? I've been worried about that guy.


Oh yeah, and I have a new email address. The mattkarlsven@myldsmail.net address will be shut down in a couple weeks, so send all email messages to matthew.karlsven@myldsmail.net. Thanks.


Love,


Elder Karlsven

No comments: