Now Family-Friendly!

Friday, April 30, 2010

We Don't Need No Stinking Badgers 04/12/2010

Dear Family,

Our High Priests Group Leader's name is Hugh Hall. The other day, after speaking with Brother Hall, Elder Serat asked me in his Haitian accent, "Is his name really Yue Hall?"

"Yeah," I said.

"Really? Does he own that?" He asked.

"Huh? What do you mean?" I asked.

"Does he own that business?" He asked.

"What?"

"Uhaul, does he own that?"

"Ohh! No, I don't think Hugh Hall owns Uhaul. But we could ask him."

"Yeah, let's ask him."

Communicating with a missionary from another country can be frustrating at times, but it always leads to a lot of funny moments like this one. The trick is to make sure that you both understand how to laugh. Making your companion's bed once in a while is always a good idea too.

If Becky is posting this on the blog, I'll give a shout-out to Eric Petersen because a new missionary, Elder Badger, read my blog after being referred by Eric. I told him in my best Cheech impression that in this mission "we don't need no stinking Badgers."

Also, it turns out that Sister Bushman in the Almaden ward was companions with Sister Richardson on their missions in Japan. I can't remember Sister Bushman's first name or maiden name, so hopefully Sister Richardson knows who I'm talking about.

Anyway, I'm doing well, staying energized about working and talking to people. I'll be staying in the Almaden ward for at least 6 more weeks. No complaints. President Jackson said today that "those who don't ever run full speed during the race usually run out of gas at the end." It was obviously a made-up story about a cross-country race, because I know from personal experience from being on a high school cross country team that when I ran full-speed early on, I was usually keeled over two thirds of the way into the race. But still, the message was clear:

Being able to work hard is largely just making it a habit. Also, never run more than 1 mile at a time if you've just spent 2 years driving a car and eating large dinners every night as a missionary.

Love,
Elder Karlsven

No comments: